December 11, 2014: This afternoon, the Los Angeles County Emergency Operations Center (CEOC) created an event in the Operational Area Response and Recovery System (OARRS) as a result of the National Weather Service’s prediction of moderate to heavy rain expected in the Los Angeles County operational area. This storm system is expected to produce severe weather throughout Los Angeles County to include
- Potentially damaging South winds for mountain regions and Gusty winds for valleys/coastal regions through Saturday morning.
- High surf with possible beach erosion Thursday through Saturday morning.
- Threat of flash flood and mudslide/debris flow in and near recent burn areas.
- Rainfall expected to reach .50 inches per hours and potentially 1 inch per hour Thursday night through Friday evening. Total rainfall is forecasted to be 1-2 inches in coastal/valley areas, and 2-4 inches in the foothills/mountains
While there are definitely areas within the State of California, and specifically, Los Angeles County, with greater vulnerability to this weather system, the potential risks to the City of Downey include:
- Urban and roadway flooding in low lying or poorly drained areas.
- Hazardous road conditions may occur due to heavy rain/poor visibility. Drivers are urged to take extra care in the wet weather, slow down and ensure everyone gets home safely.
- Trees or power lines may be downed by strong wind. Wind gusts of up to 40 mph are expected throughout Thursday night.
Disaster Mitigation and Response:
The City of Downey Public Works Department has established sandbag Points of Distribution (PODS) throughout the city. Sandbags will be available at all City of Downey Fire Department Stations and the Public Works Yard. City of Downey residents with ID are allowed to receive up to 10 sandbags. Over 200 sandbags were distributed to city residents yesterday.
City of Downey Maintenance Yard (6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) - 12324 Bellflower Blvd.
Fire Station 1 - 12222 Paramount Blvd.
Fire Station 2 - 9556 Imperial Hwy.
Fire Station 3 - 9900 Paramount Blvd.
Fire Station 4 - 9349 Florence Ave.
City of Downey Fire and Police Departments will continue to monitor and evaluate the severe weather system and scale up response activities as required.
( Sandbag Distribution Flyer )